Thursday, January 25, 2007

Slipping Through The Cracks

*Note: Due to my absence in the past while because of school excursions I haven't been able to post in my blog! I missed two classes but it has come to my attention that we were supposed to read an article related to computer hacking, cracking, piracy or viruses and summarize it. So my most sincere apologies go out to my hard-working educators if this has caused them inconvenience.

As I sit here typing and staring at my monitor, I usually feel pretty secure. If I were asked whether I was safe a few days ago, I would of course reply with, "Yes." Unfortunately for the many of us who would answer the same way, there's bad news. There are virtual dangers awaiting you as you take part in all your computer-related activities...and you and I may not even be aware of them.

We've been targeted many ways by hackers, crackers and spammers up until now. We continue to try to build up immunity against intrusions and other problems but now the hands of hackers have even reached one of the newest technologies: VOIP (Refer to previous post "Move over telephone" for more information) This is the issue discussed in the article VoIP Soon to Be A Target for…. By Mark Hall.

In 2006 a book titled "Hacking Exposed VOIP" by David Endler and Mark Collier was released. The book discusses the fact that as VOIP becomes more popular it also becomes vulnerable to being hacked. It's actually quite easy for hackers to imitate the responses of companies. Hackers can already do a lot of damage there but to make things even worse, privacy is at a huge risk. Listening into a call is a simple thing to do and it could happen to you! As if all this trouble isn't enough VOIP is also opening another route for spam. Hackers can easily insert noise into ongoing conversations and voice mail spam is bound to become as common as email spam.

This book reveals important information for all those who wish to be safe in the VOIP world. If you'll be involved with VOIP it is recommended by the article that you read their book and personally I would advise you to do the same!

As you can see there are potential spaces open everywhere for the ways of hackers and crackers to slip through! We can keep working hard to block all such areas of insecurity...but it seems we'll always be faced with issues such as these.





No comments: